Monday, September 12, 2011

Be still my heart...

It's FINISHED! And I love love LOVE this!

Here's the only "before" pic of this lovely diminutive desk...beautiful wee piece, needing just a little updated love...

I stripped it completely, sanded the top, applied Minwax Dark Walnut stain and five coats of Minwax Polycrylic. I can't get a "good enough" photo of the top, but the grain of this walnut is so VERY beautiful! She has wooden wheels!

Some cracks and scratches, but just look at that tongue and groove...


...little bit of wood filler, little bit of sanding...Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ("Old White") for the majority of the desk, with Behr Black Suede for the stencilled drawer and the accents. I used one of Ms Martha's new stencils (available at Michael's Arts and Crafts) on the front of the center drawer. First, I painted the drawer front black, then stencilled with three coats of ASCP Old White...hard to cover that black...but SO worth the effort!



Then I switched out the hardware with old pieces, freshly painted with Tremclad Hammered Black.

Here's a close up of the drawer, and a peek at the stool cushion...


I neglected to take a "before" pic of the stool, but here's the "after," recovered and painted a high gloss black. I wanted a nice contrast of fabric and colour for these pieces.

Now here's a before and after of a lamp I did to match this pretty wee desk...painted the lamp itself with Rustoleum Heirloom White...


...then coated each area of the shade with Mod Podge Matte, and carefully pressed on each section of fabric (cut with a cardboard pattern I made from one segment of the shade) with wet fingers (so I wouldn't stick to the Mod Podge). I used Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue to secure the fringe to the inside of the shade, then the same glue to secure the black trim at top and bottom.

Now here she is, sittin' pretty in front of my livingroom window. I painted the insides of the drawers lime green (lol)...to match one of my livingroom walls and my curtains...I sit here now, with my trusty little computer, looking out over my gardens...and life is...OH so VERY good!!

One last little look...before and after...


Partying with these fine bloggers this week. Would love to stop by your space in the blogosphere too. Wishing you a week filled with the pleasures of creating things you love and being with people you love...THANKS so much for stopping by!

OH! And DO visit Ms Vicky right here...she's doing a little giveaway for reaching 150 followers! WTG Vicky!


THANK YOU to the newly minted "Doctor Jaime" for this:

Photobucket

56 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I love the look of the stencil on the center drawer. Perfect. And iris are one of my very favorite flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh pretty! I love the colors and the design on the middle, gorgeous! Great styling with the lamp too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. The stenciling looks so good I at first thought that it was glaze worked into the drawer detail. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I love all of it! Can you tell me how you applied the fabric to the lampshade? I've tried to do it and it always ends up all wrinkled and crooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful transformations! I love the stencil on the drawer, great design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soo cute. Wow...I am so happy you stopped by my blog, because now I discovered yours. Love it! Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this! I've been seeing a lot of stenciling on furniture and I used to think you could only stencil on walls. I can't wait to try something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came to visit from BreakfastForDinner(http://loraine-breakfastfordinner.blogspot.com/).
    You created some beautiful pieces and you have some very handsome little men. I am your newest follower.

    Loraine

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! You did a fabulous job on all of those! I admire they way you can refinish stuff. Thanks for stopping by my blog:) I appreciate your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the transformation. My favorite look is white body with a dark top!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this so much I pinned it!! :)
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. The transformation is amazing and that stool is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. B-U-T-ful!!!!

    I love it!

    tpk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pulled a desk very similar to this out of a neighbor's trash. I could not believe he was throwing it away! I refinished it in a dark mahogany color and it's now my daughter's desk.

    Love how you refinished yours. And that stool - it's gorgeous!

    Visiting from Coastal Charm. Following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finish. Your time and effort show and were well worth it. What a beauty. Thanks for coming by Market Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! The stencil on it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stencil really makes this piece special. I never would have thought to leave the top a natural wood but it looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful piece! Then you add the paint and it is a knock out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart is pounding too. Just beautiful. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and introducing me to your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's gorgeous, love it!!! Totally loving that color!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The desk, bench, and lamp are all fabulous! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm a follower of yours now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Returning the blog love from www.spruceyournest.blogspot.com. I am your newest follower...you have some beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything turned out great! Love the desk! I would love it if you would link this up to my Ta-Da Tuesday Link Party!!! http://mommybydaycrafterbynight.blogspot.com/2011/09/ta-da-tuesday-link-party-4.html

    xoxo, Ashley J

    ReplyDelete
  24. STUNNING! I love the hardware and stencil on this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. great job on the desk! I love it's new look!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMGosh girl...you have some serious restyle talent going on!!!!

    I am drooling over your fabulous desk...well done!

    Happy to have found you.

    Janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it great job love the black & white you chose & the tips on redoing the lampshade as I have a couple I need to redo. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh my goodness, that desk is fantastic! love the stencil and the contrasting colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love it, and the other pieces are lookers also.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely desk! Love the stencil. I want to try that someday on a piece for me!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW. hat vanity is divine. i absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very nice--love the dark stool with the white table. Great makeover--Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  33. The next time the stenciling bandwagon comes by I'm jumping on :) Your restyle looks vavafabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so elegant! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful! I love it.
    I just did some stenciling too--totally worth it :)
    http://craftingintherain.blogspot.com/2011/09/dressed-up-dresser.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, it turned out beautiful! The stenciling is wonderful and I love the contrast. Cute stool too. Thank you for sharing this at the Open House party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sorry, didn't mean to trash my comment above. Thanks for commenting on my orange desk and inviting me to visit your site. Love the desk, great style

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful!!! I featured this today: http://adiamondinthestuff.blogspot.com/2011/09/time-to-shine-features-no-35.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my gosh! The stencil is incredible! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fantastic!! Wooden wheels?! How awesome is that?! You really did a beautiful job!!
    Thanks again for partying with us at Show & Share!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. It is so beautiful! The stencil just make is more beautiful. Love everything you did. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such beautiful transformations! The stencil on the drawer, great design. I wonder to watch how easy to do that work. Such a The stencil is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wonderful! Girl, you did a fabulous redo on this desk! Just beautiful! Thank you for joining TTF (sorry so late in visiting). Have a great day1

    ReplyDelete
  44. GOODNESS, Deb, she's LOVEEEELY! Wow! And I love the M.S. stencil detail....dang girl!

    From your newest follower (Illinois, USA),
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  45. love the desk and, esp the stencil. is that martha stewart'? i have one sitting on a drawer but i can't seem to pull the trigger. you've inspired me!

    thanks for your visit and comment at my blog! glad i came by!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  46. you are amazing my friend, simply amazing. I adore everything you do and i adore the person behind the blog too----extra bonus! :o) I am so excited that you discovered your passion and talent---because my friend you are just amazing at it!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  47. Fantastic! What a great transformation. Thank you so much for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  48. So very pretty! Wooden wheels puts it as WWII-era....

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for such a nice content. Apppreciate it :)
    Cheers
    If anyone interested similar one's have a look here thanks

    listateacuppuppies for sale online

    how to buy weed online

     teacup poodle for sale

    ReplyDelete